All Saints was completed in 1902 – a perfect Arts and Crafts church sitting quietly at the top of a beautiful valley in rural Herefordshire.
All Saints, Brockhampton
The church was designed W.R. Letharby, principal of the Central School of Arts and Crafts and then Professor of Design at the Royal College of art, London. He was a medievalist steeped in the writings of Ruskin and Morris. To him a place of worship had to be a work of art. Pevsner described the church as perhaps the most thrilling church in any country of the years between historicism and the Modern Movement. The church was commissioned by Alice Foster in memory of her parents.
It is a joy to behold, part medieval manor, part tithe barn, part Norman church with its central crossing tower, topped with a traditional thatched roof, but the inside too holds some special treasurers.
The wooden benches are covered in embroidered slips showing local wildflowers as are the hymn books.
Font designed by Lethaby
All of the embroidery is said to have been donated anonymously. Someone walked in on a warm summer day in 1960 and left it all on the altar, as a tribute to the wild flowers carved on the choir stalls and in thanks for the church being kept open for visitors.
All saints in 1902
Flanking the rear of the altar stand two genuine Morris & Company tapestries designed by Burne-Jones. Very badly photographed as they are understandably behind protective glass.
Ledbury, a town noted for its many fine 17th century timber framed buildings. What better place to stop for tea and cakes on the way home?